Sunday, January 24, 2016

Writing Doldrums

It's been another year and once again I find myself wondering if my writing has improved at all. I certainly feel more comfortable with my writing, though I'm not sure if that has made my writing better. Does it show? I've been experimenting by writing about different things but nothing feels quite right yet. My Things I Hate series is fun, or at least satisfying, though I'm not sure it exactly counts as comedy (my original intention). At least a few people have expressed that they would rather see me working on fiction. Perhaps I should, but I always feel particularly frustrated with how my fiction turns out.

I've tried writing about anime a little bit, but it turns out that I'm particularly ranty when it comes to anime, though probably not in the fun way. More in the long-winded stop-writing-already way. I recently completed an as-yet-unpublished article on anime golden ages but my initial write-up ended up halfway between a poor research paper and overstuffed argumentative essay. The writing advice I've gotten on the article/post has been divisive; pare it down, bulk it up. Either way it's likely to require a lot of rewriting before I can call it complete. (Also, I'm starting to think that pursuing an English or Journalism degree might be worth it, even if the degree is wholly unmarketable, solely so I don't have to beg people for constructive criticism.)

As usual I also feel that I don't write enough. Also, as usual, I have too much on my plate to write as often as I'd like. I have my hands full with trying to finish the remaining renovations on the house so that I can sell it. Not to mention I also need to work on my Network+ certification this year before my A+ certification runs out. Regardless, I'd find it easier to write more often if I could find my niche, but nothing has stuck so far. Back in high school I felt driven to write. Now? I have fun with some posts/articles but these days it's really hit or miss. I wonder sometimes if I spend too much time thinking about what people actually want to read, if my writing would improve more if I just didn't give a shit about whether or not anyone wanted to read my stuff and focused on making sure I was happy with my writing. At some point though I do need to worry about whether or not people want to read my stuff. Or at least learn how to connect with the people who want to read my particular brand of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment